Local Victim Witness Advocate
You may contact the Seventh Judicial District Victim Witness Advocate:
- Nicki Bell, Victim & Witness Advocate
- 1201 West Holly, Suite 8
Sidney, MT 59270
- Phone: (406) 433-6958
The Criminal Justice System and You: An Informational Guide for Victims of Crime, produced by Montana Attorney General's Office, Office of Victim Services, Revised November 2006. This 24-page booklet covers the following topics:
- Your Rights
- Victim Responsibilities
- Montana Criminal Justice System
- Order of Protection
- V.I.N.E. (Victim Information and Notification Everyday)
- Crime Victim Compensation (CVC)
- Victim Services Programs
- Victim Services Statewide
The Victim Witness Office has printed copies of this publication. You may stop by the office for a printed copy.
Laws on Treatment of Victims and Witnesses
Title 46, Chapter 24 of the Montana Code governs the treatment of victims and witnesses in criminal cases.
State and Federal Victim Services Offices
- Office of Victim Services (Montana Department of Justice)
- Office for Victims of Crime (U. S. Department of Justice)
- FREE (Find Rescue Embrace Empower) Human Trafficking resources/services (406)529-6914
- 4her North Dakota - Response and Intervention to End Human Trafficking http://4hernd.org/ (406) 844-0377 - National Hotline 888-373-7888
Other National Resources
- Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) - Help series for crime victims http://www.ovc.gov/pubs/helpseries/index.html
- The National Women's Health Information Center - State-specific information on domestic violence, elder abuse, and sexual assault (also available in Spanish).
- After Silence - Non-profit online community providing resources and message board for rape and sexual abuse survivors.
- Civil Legal Remedies for Crime Victims - U.S. DOJ - Advice from the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Crime Victims' Rights in America - Historical overview and facts from the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Directory of Crime Victim Services - Resource to help service providers and individuals locate non-emergency crime victim services in the U.S. and abroad.
- Federal Trade Commission: Consumer Information - Information to prevent consumer scams and option to file a complaint with the FTC.
- Help for Victims of Campus Crime - From the U.S. Department of Justice's Office for Victims of Crime.
- Jewelers' Security Alliance Stolen Jewelry Tracking System - Searchable database of stolen jewelry.
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - The nation's resource center for child protection.
- National Council for Aging Care - Assistance and information for elders and their families.
- National Crime Victim Law Institute - A national victims' rights organization that helps crime victims assert and enforce rights in a criminal trial and appellate courts.
- National Organization for Victim Assistance - Information and assistance for victims and survivors.
- National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C) - Nationwide support for agencies involved in prevention, investigation, and prosecution of economic and high-tech crimes.
- The National Center for Victims of Crime - Information for victim assistance, support, civil litigation, and more.
- U.S. Department of Justice - Resources for Victims of Crime - Links to federal resources and programs aimed at helping crime victims.
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission - Center for Complaints and Enforcement Tips - Option to file a complaint or provide the SEC with tips on potential securities law violations.
- What You Can Do if You Are a Victim of Crime - Information from the U.S. Department of Justice
- MurderVictims.com - Source for murder victim survivors, information on murder statistics, news items, discussion, and support.
- Polaris Project - Resources and services for victims of Human Trafficking 24 Hour National Trafficking Hotline - 1-888-373-7888