Home Delivered Meals
"Meals on Wheels"
Proper nutrition can be delivered right to your kitchen table. In Sidney, meals are delivered by volunteers. Hot meals will be delivered Mon, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday; Thursday's homecooked meal will be frozen and delivered with Wednesday's meal (see reheating instructions below). The rest of Richland County can also receive delicious, balanced meals shipped to their door.
To receive "Meals on Wheels", you must meet certain criteria such as:
- You must be homebound. Homebound is defined as needing the help of another person or medical equipment to leave your home -OR- your doctor believes your health or illness could get worse if you leave your home. -AND- it is difficult for your to leave your home and you typically cannot do so.
Recipients also have to meet one of the following:
- Unable to participate in the Congregate Meal Program at your local center
- Have no adult available who is willing to prepare meals
- Are not able to meet their nutritional needs without the program
If you meet the above criteria, simply have your doctor fax (406-433-5800) a REFERRAL FORM (PDF) and HOMEBOUND CERTIFICATION (PDF) form to the Commission on Aging stating how the program will benefit you. Once the COA receives your referral you will be contacted for additional screening and told when your meals will begin arriving. All recipients will be required to recertify twice a year (typically in March and September). If you would like to view the full HOME DELIVERED MEALS POLICY (PDF) you may click on the link.
The Meals for the Sidney area are prepared in the Fairview Senior Center on Mondays & Wednesdays and in the Sidney Senior Center on Tuesdays and Fridays . They are delivered by volunteers so they arrive fresh, hot and delicious! Meals are delivered between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm.
The Meals for the rest of Richland County are prepared by Homestyle Direct. They are handmade and flash frozen to ensure freshness. Meals are shipped to your door monthly via a refrigerated truck. Simply pop them in the microwave or oven, put them on a plate and enjoy!
The Richland County Commission on Aging asks for a modest donation of $5.00/meal (billed monthly) but, as with all services provided by the RCCOA, you will never be refused a service because of an inability to pay.
Excluded Delivery Days
Because much of our Meals on Wheels Program is dependent on volunteers, meals will not be delivered in the Sidney area on the following holidays (areas served by our Homestyle Direct Meals will not be affected):
- New Year's Day (January 1st)
- Martin Luther King Day (3rd Monday in January)
- President's Day (3rd Monday in February)
- Memorial Day (Last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Veteran's Day (November 11th)
- Thanksgiving Holiday (4th Thursday & Friday in November)
- Christmas Day (December 25th)
Meals may also be cancelled due to inclement weather and the safety of our deliverers. If this happens, you will receive a phone call letting you know that your meal will not arrive that day.
Reheating Instructions for Frozen Meals
All the frozen meals (whether from the COA Cook or Homestyle Direct) are in containers designed to go straight into the microwave or oven and are safe up to 400 degrees.
To reheat in the oven it is recommended to place on a cookie sheet, remove plastic wrap and cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350o for 20-30 minutes.
To reheat in the microwave it is recommended to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to use vent film and heat for 2-minute intervals until heated through. It is recommended you stir and/or rearrange the food partially through cooking to ensure even heat distribution.